Thursday, April 19, 2012

time really does fly when you are having fun.

As the saying goes, "time flies when you are having fun," and I do believe this is true. Back in January, I started as a marketing intern for my little cupcake, and now it is April, marking the end of my journey here. It truly has been quite the journey. I came into the store knowing one thing, I love food, and I love cupcakes. Ever since I was eleven, I have known I wanted to go into the food industry; I wanted to be a part of making people happy through food. Working as a marketing intern for a bakery just brought me one step closer to that goal.

Image taken by yours truly

I will admit, at first it wasn't easy, walking in every day and seeing an array of cupcakes in front me (pictured above). I was very tempted to eat every tray of cupcakes I saw. And man oh man, it wasn't easy not to. Even as I write this, I am happily munching on a red velvet cupcake! Check out the picture below of me and the lucky mini. I can promise all of you hungry cupcake lovers, it was quite delicious.

That's me!

Once I got past the initial desire to consume every cupcake in sight, I was able to get down to work. My main responsibility was working on this blog. Creating the content and having fun posts for you dedicated cupcake followers to read. It might have been my favorite part of the internship. I love to write, especially about anything food related, and this allowed me to do it weekly! I loved this so much, I am determined to find a way to continue writing a weekly blog this summer. You never know, I might pop up where you least expect me.

Besides the blog, I was able to help out with a variety of things. I worked with my supervisor, Meghan, who is the manager of the Burlington store, on a few different projects. Some days I would get to doodle and try and figure out a fun coupon design. Other times I would work on market research, like when I worked on the survey we did recently. I also found myself cutting lots of frequent buyer cards, almost weekly actually. While I received a funny dent in my thumb from the scissors, I quite enjoyed cutting the cards at times. I am a perfectionist and cutting the cards allowed me to focus intently on getting as close to perfectly straight lines as I could. I will admit, after a while, cutting those cards became somewhat therapeutic. I was forced to concentrate, and ended up relaxing while I was concentrating. It was my mini break during the day.

In late February, I was told that I would get to start working on the monthly newsletter. To me this felt like a mini-blog. Instead of one feature story, I got to write four shorter stories. One of my favorite things to write about was the featured cupcake. I got to try the flavor- quality control, enhance my knowledge, something of the sort- so I could write about it. I had to learn the ins and outs of the flavor I was featuring, and eating it was the only way I could think of to do that. Trust me, I wasn't complaining. :) 

That being said, today is my last day at my little cupcake. It is an interesting feeling; somewhat sad because I will miss the wonderful people I have met here. It truly has been a blast getting to know everyone, and being constantly exposed to delicious cupcakes. On the other hand, it has been an amazing experience here, and the end of my internship does not mean I am never coming back for cupcakes. It only means that I will continue on to new things and keep learning from them all. So, in the end, it is bittersweet. I will miss the bakery, but I am curious to see where life takes me next. It definitely has been quite the journey, and I am thankful that my little cupcake was part of that journey, bringing me one step closer to my goal.

stay sweet,

my little intern

No comments:

Post a Comment